29 March 2007

Another Sort of Madness...

Tomorrow is the end of the third quarter at school. Today, I had 2 students come after school to make up quizzes because they will not be at school tomorrow (it's also a 1/2 day and the beginning of Spring Break). What responsible students, right? To balance this, I also had a student who requested any "make-up" work to improve his grade. He doesn't understand why his grade is so low. When I said that it might be because he is never concerned about getting work turned in or paying attention to what is going on, his response was, "but I sit in the front of the room!"

Now, I know that sitting in the front of a classroom does have SOME correlation to your performance in the class (I tested this out in college...) but so does paying attention, asking questions to clarify and handing your best work in on time. I stated all of this to the student in question.

His response...

"I still don't see how I could be missing so much work. I sit in the FRONT of the class!"

This got a head shake and an eye roll from me (how professional, I know) and I told him to see me after school and we could take a look at his grade, etc., etc. Bet you can guess what happened next....


HE NEVER SHOWED UP! Talk about responsibility...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

His parents are probably asking why he has such bad marks when he sits at the front of the room.