14 February 2007

My first post-a SNOW day!


It's snowing...no, sleeting..no, raining...no, ICE! That's what the weather was like yesterday and I have a snow day today! I've been wanting to start a knitting blog, but haven't really had the time with work and grad school. I thought I'd take the time today to begin!

J and I waited awhile before we went out to scrape the ice and snow off our cars. That was a good idea since the sun came out for alittle while.

To the knitting! I've been knitting for about 2 years now. I am self-taught with some help from how-to books. I attempted to teach myself back in college, but life got in the way and decided about 2 years ago (on a snow day!) to pick it back up. I've been knitty like crazy ever since. I started out by "practicing" and ended up knitting a scarf for the hubby. My next project was a baby blanket for a friend. Unfortunately, I didn't take a pic of it...it was made from Lion Brand's Pound of Love in denim. From there, I've made about 4 other baby blankets, shawls, mittens, hats, and SOCKS!

I fell in love with knitting socks. I find them to be quick and don't get into SSS (single sock syndrome). I took a class at my LYS because I couldn't figure the patterns out on my own. Now, about 9 months later, I've made about 8 pairs of socks with enough stash to make about 5 more! I bought 2 new sock patterns last week-one from Cabin Fever and the other from Fiber Trends. Last night, I started a pair ("Reflections") that shows off the pattern of the socks when you wear clogs. These will be for Mom. She loves the clogs from Clarks. I thought that would be a pleasant surprise for her. Here's a sneak peek of the socks. The yarn is a superwash wool that has aloe and jojoba in it. My LYS said that the aloe and jojoba are good for about 40 washings. An added bonus is that my hands feel nice and soft while I'm knitting!

No comments: