18 December 2008

Update on Dad

I talked to Mom at lunchtime yesterday and the doctor was giving Dad an infusion of some medicine (it starts with a Z) so that his bones would not be susceptible to breaking. If a bone breaks, he would be set back. I talked to Mom again last night and Dad also had a bronchoscopy to see the mass in his lung. The doctor went through his throat-so Dad's throat was sore last night. The doctors have ordered an MRI on Dad's brain, I guess as a precautionary measure. He will also be having a port inserted on Friday afternoon for the chemo. The schedule for chemo right now is once every three weeks starting between Christmas and New Year's. The pulmonologist told Mom and Dad yesterday that he thinks this is Stage IV lung cancer and that it is treatable. Right now the treatment will be chemo, but Dad does need to make an appointment with the radiologist just in case the cancer does not respond to the chemo alone.

The doctors are stunned that my father has never been sick and never really taken any medications. My dad has gone from seeing one doctor once a year to having at least 4 different doctors and Mom says he is a bit frustrated with it all. I can only imagine... Mom and I see a bunch of different doctors all the time; we are used to it and Dad is not.

Please continue to pray for him and my entire family.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You and your family are in our prayers. We love you all so much!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry this is such a trying time for you and your family and will be praying for each of you.
Your SP