02 February 2010

Non-stress Test

I went for my first of many days of fetal monitoring today. First, the nurse hooks two round discs to my belly-one to hear Monster's heartbeat and the other to see about contractions. I sit in a comfy recliner and read a book and wait for Monster's heart rate to increase twice in 20 minutes. He was a good boy and did that...otherwise I would have to sit for 40 minutes! Then I have a sonogram to see how all is going-what position Monster is in, saw that he was practicing his breathing (too cool to see everything moving!), check the amniotic fluid and check Monster's movements. WELL.... needless to say this was the longest part of my stay because Monster decided after the initial test, that he was going to take a nap. He was not going to move a muscle AT ALL! None of the normal tricks worked-me moving from side to side or poking my belly to see if he would move. The nurse had to give me a snack and a beverage for the little one to move. I was a bit worried because she said I couldn't leave UNTIL he moved! Oh boy... I guess in the future I'll be doing more of this...Come on Thursday! (Yes, I go twice a week until I deliver for monitoring...can I work in the doctor's office now???)

No comments: